Volunteer Examiner Coordinator: The GEARS VEC Committee is a group of volunteer examiners who are authorized by the FCC to provide examinations for amateur radio licenses. The exams will be given at the Butte County Search and Rescue facility at 3898 Morrow Lane in Chico. Exams start at 2pm. See dates below. You can take more the one exam for the same cost.
GEARS VEC: Tom Rider, W6JS; 530-514-9211 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What to Bring:
- Check or cash in the amount of $15.00;
- Two forms of identification, at least one containing a recognizable photo such as a current drivers license, State ID, School ID or passport;
- Unexpired Certificate of Completion Examination (CSCE) if applicable;
- A #2 pencil and BLACK pen;
- A calculator is acceptable, however, the memory must be cleared before the exam session begins;
- Photocopy of existing license if upgrading to another class.
When you pass your exam: The GEARS VEC is an FCC VEC. When candidates pass their exam, the results go directly to the FCC. New licensee’s will know their new call sign by Monday or Tuesday from from the GEARS VEC. When you passed your exam, you should have been given an instruction sheet on how to check your FCC Registration Number (FRN) and how to register on the FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS) and how to obtain your official copy of your license. If you didn’t get one, contact W6AKF@arrl.net, and he will send you a copy of it.
Application Form: The NCVEC Form 605 is the form used for new license applications, upgrades, renewals, address change and systematic call sign changes. Submit this form to the GEARS VEC; Do not send this form to the FCC.
Question Pools: The Question pool for each license level changes every four years. Be sure to study from the correct ARRL study guide and from the correct question pool. The new question pool for Technician Class License is now active.
- Technician: July 1st 2018 to June 30th 2022
- General: July 1st 2015 to June 30th 2019
- Extra: July 1st 2016 to June 30th 2020
GEARS Exam Dates 2019