Volunteer Examiner Coordinator: The GEARS VEC Committee is a group of volunteer examiners who are authorized by the FCC to provide examinations for amateur radio licenses. The exams will be offered at the Butte County Search and Rescue facility at 3898 Morrow Lane in Chico. You can take more the one exam for the same cost.
GEARS VEC: Tom Rider, W6JS and he can be reached on 530-893-9211 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What to Bring:
- Check or Cash in the amount of $10.00;
- Two forms of identification, at least one containing a recognizable photo such as a current drivers license, State ID, School ID or passport;
- Unexpired Certificate of Completion Examination (CSCE) if applicable;
- A #2 pencil and BLACK pen;
- A Calculator is acceptable, however, the memory must be cleared before the exam session begins;
- Photocopy of existing license if upgrading to another class.
When you pass your exam: The GEARS VEC is an FCC VEC. When candidates pass their exam, the results go directly to the FCC. New licensees will know their new call sign by Tuesday or Wednesday from a call from the GEARS VEC. You will be given an instruction sheet on how to check your FCC Registration Number (FRN) and how to register on the FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS) and how to obtain your official copy of your license.
Application Form: The NCVEC Form 605 is the form used for new license applications, upgrades, renewals, address change and systematic call sign changes. Submit this for to the GEARS VEC; Do not send this form to the FCC.
Question Pool: The Question pool for each license level changes periodically. Be sure to study for the correct level and from the correct pool as follows:
- Technician 7/1/14 – 6/30/18
- General 7/1/15 – 6/30/19
- Extra 7/1/16 – 6/30/20
GEARS Exam Dates 2018:
- June 3
- August 5
- October 7
- December 2